Evaluation Cycles will help you build a team routine around prioritization by syncing it with the team's iterative development workflow.
- By when all the tasks in the board must be evaluated;
- When the assigned scores will expire.
The first is needed to make sure that the top priorities are ready by the sprint planning.
The second is needed for the re-evaluation. It is better to return to old unresolved issues and re-evaluate them as their impact may change over time.
Cycle settings are separate for each board.
To set up the Evaluation Cycles:
- Choose a board you want to set up.
- Click the cogwheel next to the board name.
- Find Evaluation Cycles.
- Set the Cycle Time.
Cycle Time depends on how often you have the planning meetings or how long are your sprints.
If you have 2-week sprints and you have a sprint planning every other Monday, set the Cycle Time for 2 weeks.
- Set the Planning Day.
The planning day determines when the top priorities must be ready. The team must evaluate all issues before this day to have the relevant top to choose tasks for the next sprint.
- Check or change the Next Planning date in case your Cycle Time is 2 weeks or more.
If you've set a 2-week cycle, you may need to adjust the next planning date. It will be automatically set to be in two weeks, but you may be in the middle of the cycle and the planning might be the next week.
- Set the Scores Expiration. It determines how often the scores must be discarded. In other words, how often the team receives new information and the task impact or importance may change.
The Score Expiration time is calculated in cycles. If you have 2-week cycles and you set the expiration to 3 cycles, this means that the scores will be valid for 6 weeks. After that, the issue will appear on the Assessment Grid for re-evaluation.
If you don't need your scores to expire, set 0 cycles.